ROBBIA, Andrea della
(b. 1435, Firenze, d. 1525, Firenze)
Glazed terracotta, 457 x 308 cm
Chiesa Maggiore, La Verna
The Ascension was executed c. 1490 for the main altar of the upper church at La Verna and then moved, in 1601, to the Ridolfi Chapel. It was probably the Medici family who commissioned the work for the chapel built in 1457 by Pierfrancesco de' Medici.
Andrea della Robbia relied on the help of a number of collaborators, some of whom were capable of introducing new elements to the artist's customary language. It is assumed that the Ascension was finished by one of his assistants.