CORNELISZ VAN OOSTSANEN, Jacob
(b. ca. 1472, Oostzan, d. 1533, Amsterdam)
Sts Christopher and Anthony1517
Oil on panel, 83 x 25 cm (each wing)
The picture shows the reverse side of the Triptych of the Adoration of the Magi. In its original position in the church, the triptych was closed for most of the year, and all that could be seen were the two grisailles of Sts Christopher and Anthony on the backs of the shutters. Back in the 16th century, the triptych was only exhibited on major feast days (and certainly on 6 January, the feast of the Epiphany), briefly revealing the painting in all its glory.