COURTONNE, Jean-Baptiste, the Younger
Pen and ink and wash on paper
L'Institut national d'histoire de l'art, Paris
The picture shows two drawings, Scale Drawing of the Library in Hôtel du Lude (top); and Scale Drawing of the Natural History Cabinet or Cabinet of Preserved Animals and Insects in the Hôtel du Lude (bottom).
The Hôtel du Lude was a mansion in the aristocratic Faubourg Saint-Germain in Paris (demolished in 1861). It was bought in 1726 by Joseph Bonnier de la Mosson, a well-to-do merchant from the southern French city of Montpellier, and his son had it remodeled between 1726 and 1728 by the architects Jean Baptiste Leroux (1677-1746), Jean Courtonne (1671-1739), father of Jean Baptist Courtonne the Younger, and François Debias-Aubry (d. 1755).