(b. ca. 1440, Seligenstadt, d. 1494, Bruges)
Oil on wood, 22 x 14 cm
Musée des Beaux-Arts, Strasbourg
The picture shows one of the panels of the Triptych of Earthly Vanity and Divine Salvation which is made up of three panels, all three of which are painted on both sides. This reversible painting would seem to have been intended for use as an aid to private meditation. When the panels are folded slightly inwards, the triptych will stand unsupported - for example, on a table. Its symbolism centres on the opposition between Good and Evil. To one side of the woman, representing vanity and lust, is an androgynous devil. This figure bears a premonitory sentence.