(b. 1741, Paris, d. 1814, Paris)
Banquet Given in the Presence of the King1771
Ink, wash and watercolour
Musée du Louvre, Paris
The picture shows the banquet given in the presence of the king by Madame du Barry on 2 September 1771 for the inauguration of the music pavilion built by Claude-Nicolas Ledoux (1736-1806) at Louveciennes. Ledoux built the symmetrically arranged, cube-like pavilion with oval dining room for Madame du Barry in 1770-71. This "pleasure pavilion" could be called a miniature Trianon.