(b. ca. 1250, Pisa, d. 1314, Pisa)
Marble, height 461 cm
In 1302, after the completion of the Pistoia pulpit, Giovanni was commissioned by the head of Pisa Cathedral, Burgundio di Tado, to execute yet another pulpit in Carrara marble. It was installed in the right choir but damaged by a fire in 1595 and dismantled. (Most of the fragments were gathered into a problematic reconstruction in 1926, while others are dispersed in museums around the world.)
The four large figures in the centre are the Theological Virtues. The two curved panels facing us show the Adoration of the Magi and the Presentation in the Temple.