Decoration of the Cappella Capponi in Santa FelicitÓ in Florence
by Jacopo PONTORMO

At the end of the third decade of the 16th century Pontormo intensified his formal research. This phase of the painter's artistic career is marked by the decoration of the Cappella Capponi in the church of Santa FelicitÓ in Florence. The chapel, designed by Brunelleschi, and formerly patronized by the Barbadori family, was bought by Ludovico Capponi in 1525, the year in which Pontormo started to work with the assistance of Bronzino. According to Vasari, God the Father and Four Patriarchs, now lost, once decorated the hemispherical cupola, which was apparently replaced by a vault in the 18th century.

Four tondos with the Evangelists still adorn the pendentives that once supported the old cupola. Except for the painting of St John, the precise authorship of the other three portraits has posed considerable problems for scholars, who are unable to agree on the extent to which Bronzino contributed in the execution of the paintings. The figures of the Evangelists, with their distinctly Michelangiolesque flavour, have a vigour deriving from the way their heads are twisted and pushed forward. They are wrapped in ample robes, whose bold colours stand out against the dark backgrounds. This play of strong contrasts, which exalts the delicate outlines of the coloured surfaces, is in keeping with the refined style of the entire decoration.

The most significant expression of Pontormo's new artistic tendency is undoubtedly the chapel's altarpiece, the painting of the famous Deposition, which can perhaps justly be described as the artist's masterpiece. It was presumably the highly singular artistic innovation of this painting that prompted Pontormo to build a kind of screen which for three years prevented anyone from entering the chapel.

The decoration of the Cappella Capponi is completed by the figure of the Annunciation frescoed on the wall of the window.

Preview Picture Data File Info Comment
View of the Capponi Chapel
c. 1528
-
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

1000*1396
True Color
178 Kb



Deposition
c. 1528
Oil on wood, 313 x 192 cm
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

900*1146
True Color
200 Kb



Deposition
c. 1528
Oil on wood, 313 x 192 cm
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

1000*1622
True Color
203 Kb



Deposition
c. 1528
Oil on wood, 313 x 192 cm
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

813*1331
True Color
151 Kb



Deposition (detail)
c. 1528
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

1062*1411
True Color
143 Kb



Deposition (detail)
c. 1528
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

1000*1159
True Color
187 Kb



Deposition (detail)
c. 1528
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

795*1100
True Color
127 Kb



Deposition (detail)
c. 1528
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

1120*760
True Color
128 Kb



Deposition (detail)
c. 1528
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

788*1070
True Color
143 Kb



Annunciation
1527-28
Fresco, 368 x 168 cm
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

899*980
True Color
112 Kb



Annunciation (detail)
1527-28
Fresco
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

650*1250
True Color
155 Kb



Annunciation (detail)
1527-28
Fresco
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

662*1250
True Color
155 Kb



St John the Evangelist
c. 1525
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

926*921
True Color
118 Kb



St Luke
c. 1525
Oil on wood
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence

907*930
True Color
109 Kb




Paintings by Jacopo PONTORMO
| Early works (1514-1520) | Mature works (after 1520) |
| Poggio a Caiano (1519-1521) | Cappella Capponi (c. 1528) |
Drawings
| until 1525 | from 1526 |