PREMAZZI, Luigi
(b. 1814, Milano, d. 1891, Istambul)

The Room of Coins and Medals

1853
Watercolour on paper, 323 x 402 mm
The Hermitage, St. Petersburg

The foundation for the collection of coins and medals was laid by Catherine II's numerous acquisitions. Leo von Klenze (1784-1864), the German architect who created additions to the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, allotted the collection a hall on the lower floor of the New Hermitage.