BIGARELLI, Guido di
(active ca. 1238, died 1257)
Guido di Bonagiunta Bigarelli (also known as Guido da Como), Italian sculptor, born in Aragno, near Lugano, into a family of stonemasons. His activity as a marble carver is recorded in northwestern Tuscany in the important towns of Pisa, Lucca, and Pistoia. Since Guido was a common name among the many marble cutters from Como based in Tuscany, the reference to a Guidus de Como in Barga in 1238 might be to another craftsman.
The earliest secure reference to Guido dates from November 1244, when he was in Lucca and was perhaps involved in work for the cathedral, where a number of other stoneworkers from Como are recorded. In 1246, he signed the octagonal baptismal font that is still placed at the heart of the baptistry in Pisa. Its polygonal form, which is in harmony with the centralized plan of the building, probably determined Nicola Pisano's choice of a polygonal pulpit for this same place in 1260.
In 1250, Guido signed and dated the pulpit in San Bartolomeo in Pantano, which is his only other securely identifiable surviving work. Other works in Pistoia have been associated with Guido on the basis of stylistic affinities with the surviving signed works.
He is last mentioned in 1257 in Lucca.