(b. 1709, London, d. 1787, London)
English sculptor, part of a family of sculptors, brother of Sir Henry Cheere. He was the more famous of the two in his day, and his contribution to English sculpture was arguably more significant. He was apprenticed to a haberdasher in 1725 for seven years.
His only signed monuments are that to James Lawes (d. 1733), a marble portrait bust set against a pyramid in St Andrew's, Halfway Tree, Jamaica, and the marble tablet to his mother-in-law, Deborah Gibbons, at St Peter's Vere, Jamaica. In 1739 he completed a gilt equestrian statue of William III for St James's Square, London, and in 1751 a marble statue of George II for the market place, St Helier, Jersey. In 1739 he had also acquired a yard at Hyde Park Corner that may have belonged originally to Anthony van Nost, a younger member of the family of sculptors, and continued the van Nost and Andrew Carpenter tradition of supplying lead garden statuary.
For Stourhead, Wilts, he supplied in 1751 a River God; in 1756 the Portuguese minister in London purchased from him 98 lead statues for the royal palace of Queluz, near Lisbon. More statues, including those of Pomona, Mercury, Apollo and Bacchus, were supplied to Stourhead in 1766. In 1769 the actor David Garrick commissioned a life-size lead figure of William Shakespeare for the jubilee celebrations at Stratford-on-Avon, Warwicks (now in the Town Hall).