CIAMPANTI, Michele
(active 1470-1510 in Lucca)

Biography

Italian painter. He is first documented in Lucca in 1470. In 1485 he was commissioned by Nicolao da Noceto to paint the vault of the chapel of S Regolo in Lucca Cathedral and to gild an altar carved by Matteo Civitale, also for the cathedral. In 1481 Ciampanti and Civitale had executed a polyptych for the church of S Romano, Lucca, and in 1486 Ciampanti, with Vincenzo Frediani, assessed Civitale's wooden PietÓ (Lucca, Villa Guinigi). In 1492 Ciampanti was in Lucca, and in 1496 he was in Pietrasanta painting in the cathedral. He was in Lucca again from 1506 to 1510.

His son, Ansano di Michele Ciampanti (active in Lucca, 1498-1532) was also painter, known also as the Master of Stratonice or Master of St Philip.



© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil KrÚn and Daniel Marx.