LEYDEN, Lucas van
(b. 1494, Leiden, d. 1533, Leiden)

Christ Healing the Blind

1531
Oil on canvas transferred from wood, 115,5 x 150,5 cm
The Hermitage, St. Petersburg

The painting was probably executed for the hospital of Leiden. Originally it was a triptych, however, at the beginning of the 17th century the central panel and the side wings were joined.

The combination of rigid, engraving-like drawing and efforts to convey the figures' complex natural movements points to the influence of German art, above all Dürer.