Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna

The Liechtenstein Museum in Vienna houses the Princely Collections of the Liechtenstein family. The collections have been open to the general public since 1807 when they were transferred from the Liechtenstein City Palace in Vienna to the Garden Palace at Rossau (also in Vienna). When Austria was annexed by Nazi Germany in 1938, the princely family moved to Liechtenstein, the museum was closed and its artworks were removed to Vaduz during the last weeks of the war. The collections returned to Vienna after the comprehensive restoration of the Garden Palace, a great Baroque building built around 1700.

In the museum, works from the most important epochs of European art are displayed, ranging from early Italian religious paintings, Rubens, Van Dyck and Frans Hals to the painting of the Dutch Golden Age. The refurbished palace itself, together with the historic garden, is a complete Baroque work of art.

You can find more information on the Liechtenstein Museum at its home page (external link).

Recommended viewing from the collection:


Statistics

The Web Gallery of Art contains 234 images of artworks exhibited in the Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna. From these images

© Web Gallery of Art
This page was last updated on 13 February 2022.