ABADIE, Paul
(b. 1812, Paris, d. 1884, Chatou)

General view

1852-56
Photo
Église Saint-Martial, Angoulême

The church of medieval origin in the centre of Angoulême was closed in 1848 when the building threatened to collapse. The architect Paul Abadie proceeded with its reconstruction, and the foundation stone was laid in 1852. The new church was consecrated in 1853, the construction was completed in 1856.

The building is in the Neo-Romanesque style. It has an elongated plan with a bell tower porch in front of the building. Inside, the first floor of the bell tower opens onto the nave thanks to a platform arranged above the entrance.

Paul Abadie was also involved in the realization of the furniture, which dates mainly from the 19th century, and which is remarkable for its homogeneity of style.