AIMO, Domenico
(b. ca. 1465, Varignana, d. 1539, Bologna)

Right lateral portal

1520s
Photo
San Petronio, Bologna

In 1518 Domenico Aimo drew up a masterplan for the façade of San Petronio, which was followed for the decoration of the two existing lateral portals embellished with Old and New Testament scenes (1524-30). The marble reliefs were carved by teams of sculptors under the direction of Ercole Seccadenari (d 1540). The artists included Alfonso Lombardi, Amico Aspertini, Niccolò Tribolo, Girolamo da Treviso, Zaccaria Zacchi da Volterra (1473-1544), and Properzia de' Rossi. The lunette over the left portal contains a figural tableau of the Resurrection (1527) by Lombardi, the lunette over the right portal the Deposition by Aspertini and Seccadenari. The pinnacles are adorned by reliefs (1567-69) by Giacomo Silla, Teodosio de' Rossi (active 1560-1613), and Lazzaro Casario (active 1568-88).