ANDREA DI BARTOLO
(b. 1360/70, Siena, d. 1428, Siena)
Coronation of the Virgin1410s
Oil on panel, 160 x 65 cm (centre), 142 x 36 cm (each side panel)
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan
This polyptych, originating from the convent of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria in Saant'Angelo in Vado (near Urbino), was executed with the collaboration of the painter's son, Giorgio di Andrea (active 1410-1428). The four saints on the side panels are Catherine of Alexandria, Augustine, Peter, and Paul. Originally the polyptych had five side panels, the missing two, representing Sts Michael and John the Baptist, are in the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche in Urbino.