(b. 1462, Firenze, d. 1543, Firenze)
Coat-of-Arms of Duke Alessandro de' Medicic. 1534
Carved wood, painted and gilded, 165 x 155 cm
Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence
The Medici arms, supported by two cupids with cornucopia, decorated with two cherubs' heads and surmounted by a ducal crown with three coloured feathers, are those of Duke Alessandro de' Medici (1510-37), as indicated by the painted inscription "Dux Alexander Primus."
The arms can most probably identified as those carved in 1534 by the famous wood sculptor Baccio d'Agnolo with the collaboration of Vasari for the Great Hall of the Palazzo della Mercanzia (Merchants' Palace) in Florence.