BAROCCI, Federico Fiori
(b. 1526, Urbino, d. 1612, Urbino)
The Institution of the Eucharist1608
Oil on canvas, 290 x 177 cm
Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva, Rome
This painting was commissioned by Clement VIII in 1603 but was finished only three years after his death in 1605. Clement exercised a great deal of control over the artist in order to be certain that he depicted the subject exactly to his wishes.