(b. 1472, Firenze, d. 1517, Pian' di Mugnone)
Panel, 176 x 170 cm
The painting is signed on the back and dates from 1497 but appears to be a collaborative effort with Mariotto Albertinelli with whom Fra Bartolomeo performed a partnership, perhaps by the mid-1490s.
A rather conservative composition that still reveals impulses from both Filippino Lippi and Perugino, this painting emphasizes the distant landscape at the centre of the composition. The perspectival construction of the floor leads through an open doorway to a bright, airy country scene dominated by a single tree, which might refer to the Crucifixion.