BASSANO, Francesco
(b. 1549, Bassano, d. 1592, Venezia)

Resurrection of Christ

1584-88
Oil on canvas
Santissimo Redentore, Venice

Resurrection of Christ was commissioned for the Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore (Church of the Most Holy Redeemer) - church built in thanksgiving for deliverance from the plague that decimated Venice from 1575 to 1576, in which some 46,000 people died. The Senate commissioned the great architect Andrea Palladio to design it. Construction began in May 1577. The building was in a satisfactory stage and was consecrated in 1592. The church is located on Giudecca, one of the islands of Venice, on the waterfront of the Canale della Giudecca.

Resurrection of Christ stands in the second altarpiece on the left side.