(b. ca. 1429, Venezia, d. 1507, Venezia)
Tempera and oil on panel, 133 x 124 cm
Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid
This painting is one of Gentile Bellini's few religious paintings and the main focus of interest is the architectural setting. The work shows the influence of Andrea Mantegna, Bellini's brother-in-law, particularly in the monumental and sculptural quality of the figures and in the construction of the architectural perspectives, typical of the Renaissance.