(b. ca. 1426, Venezia, d. 1516, Venezia)
Tempera on canvas, 115 x 317 cm
Palazzo Ducale, Venice
The group of the Madonna and St John the Evangelist supporting the dead Christ is flanked by the figures of St Mark (at the left) and St Nicholas (at the right). In 1571 the painting was enlarged by Paolo Farinati by putting the scene into a Veronese style landscape. In 1948 the original compisition was restored. The contribution of various degree of Gentile Bellini is assumed by critics.