BERNINI, Gian Lorenzo
(b. 1598, Napoli, d. 1680, Roma)
Exterior viewbegun 1650
Palazzo Montecitorio, Rome
The Palazzo Ludovisi was designed by Bernini for the Ludovisi family who had close ties with the Papacy. However, the construction was soon halted and it was continued only in 1694 by Carlo Fontana. Although Fontana introduced some rather pedantic academic features, Bernini's façade was sufficiently advanced to prevent any significant distortion of his intentions.
With the unification of Italy in 1861 and the transfer of the capital to Rome in 1870, the palazzo was chosen as the seat of the Chamber of Deputies. The palace underwent extensive renovations, which left only Bernini's façade intact.
The photo shows the façade.