BUORA, Giovanni di Antonio
(b. ca. 1450, Osteno, d. 1513, Venezia)

Palazzo Grimani Marcello: Façade

1500-10
Photo
Canal Grande, Venice

The current building is the result of the restoration of a pre-existing building, probably dating back to the 12th century. The façade and the restoration works had been commissioned by the Grimani family from the architect Giovanni Buora, who realised the current building with its architectural and ornamental features from the late Lombard period.

The façade is completely clad with stone. On the ground floor there is an arched water gate decorated with contrasting marble medallions. The ground floor rectangular windows are surmounted by a triangular tympanum resting on a slightly extended architrave. The first and second floors have three-mullioned windows with balcony. The façade is divided into three, according to the style of the era, by pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Much attention was paid to the decoration of the façade, with precious marble medallions and rectangles, festoons.

During the 18th century the internal structure of the palace was radically modified.