(b. 1711, Venezia, d. 1774, Bergamo)
Miracle of San Francesco da Paolac. 1750
Oil on canvas, 250 x 180 cm
Museo Diocesano, Cortona
Ordered from Piazzetta by the priest Ubaldo Fracassini, this canvas was painted by one of the most famous student of the master, Francesco Cappella, also known as Daggiù. It was painted for the church of San Filippo in Cortona.
The painting depicts a miracle of San Francesco da Paola, who, with a gesture of his hand, saves a mason who has fallen from a scaffolding. The workers, busy with their work are unaware of the occurrence. Above the fallen mason, dramatic whirling of wings and light burst out of the darkness.