(active 1444-1475/76 in Bruges)
Isabel of Portugal with St Elizabeth1457-60
Oak panel, 59 x 33 cm
Groeninge Museum, Bruges
This is the left wing of a triptych. The original triptych with the Mater Dolorosa in the central panel and St Catherine in the right wing was part of the collection of Margaret of Austria. The small triptych was probably commissioned by Isabel of Portugal who ordered the triptych at the time of her retirement to a Franciscan convent in Nieppe, France, in 1457. It later entered Margaret of Austria's collection. The panel shows Isabel of Portugal with Saint Elizabeth and features the typical, finely chiseled and almost doll-like style of this introverted minor master whose work is not devoid of originality.