(b. ca. 1240, Firenze, d. ca. 1302, Firenze)
Virgin Enthroned with Angels1290-95
Panel, 424 x 276 cm
Musée du Louvre, Paris
Vasari mentioned this painting as located in the church San Francesco in Pisa. In 1811, during the Napoleonic war, it was transferred to Paris. It was restored in 1937-38. The thorought analysis executed before the restoration showed the painting to be in a rather precarious condition: the central figures and the golden background were completely repainted. From the results of the analysis some doubts have been arised concerning the authorship of the painting. Among others it was assumed to be the work of a Sienese painter (perhaps Duccio) after a painting by Cimabue.