(b. ca. 1441, Bergamo, d. 1504, Venezia)
Torre dell'Orologio: Two Moors1496-99
Piazza San Marco, Venice
In 1496 work began on a tower, commissioned by the Venetian republic, to house a new clock. It was designed by Mauro Codussi, the favoured architect for important public works. On a terrace at the top two Moors, cast in bronze by Ambrogio delle Ancore, turn stiffly at the waist to strike the hours with hammers. Below is a free-standing sculpture of the Lion of St mark set on an azure ground studded with stars.