COSSA, Francesco del
(b. ca. 1435, Ferrara, d. ca. 1477, Bologna)
Tempera and gold on panel, 112 x 55 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan
The reconstruction of the polyptych, dismembered in the 18th century, is not unambiguous. It seems certain that the central panel was the painting of St Vincent Ferrer while on his sides were St Peter and St John the Baptist. Paintings of St Lucy and St John the Baptist were probably located on the upper part of the sides while a Crucifixion tondo was in the upper central position. The predella was executed by Ercole de' Roberti.