CRANACH, Lucas the Elder
(b. 1472, Kronach, d. 1553, Weimar)
Sts Christopher and George (outer side)c. 1514
Oil on panel, 85 x 31 cm (each wing)
Fundación Colección Thyssen-Bornemisza, Pedralbes
These two panels, painted on both sides, depict a total of four saints. The panels are probably the wings of a triptych whose central panel is now lost. It was commissioned by the Duke of Saxony, who is portrayed with his wife in the lower half of the panels. One of the inside panels depicts St Elizabeth, Mary's cousin and the mother of St John the Baptist. Below her and shown praying in much less than life-size proportions, is the Duke. The other panel depicts St Anne, the Virgin's mother, with the Duchess. The saints are identified by their names written in their haloes. The outer side of the wings (not shown here) depicts St Christopher with the Christ Child on his shoulders, and St George and the Dragon.