CRANACH, Lucas the Elder
(b. 1472, Kronach, d. 1553, Weimar)
Altar wing (left, inner side)c. 1537
Two large altar wings painted on both sides hang today in the sacristy of Naumburg Cathedral. They include two bishops of Naumburg. On the left wing we see Philipp of the Palatinate and on the right Johannes III von Schönberg (both with their coat of arms, surmounted by mitre and cozier).
The inner side of the left wing represents Sts Philip and James the Less with the donor Philipp von der Pfalz.