CRIVELLI, Vittore
(b. ca. 1440, Venezia, d. 1501/2, Venezia)

St Jerome

1481
Tempera and gilt on panel, 61 x 38 cm
Victoria and Albert Museum, London

Vittore Crivelli was the youngest brother of Carlo Crivelli under whom he probably trained. Around 1465, he followed his brother to Zara, Dalmatia where he took on a pupil and by 1481 had moved to the Marches. He settled in Fermo with his brother and spent there most of the rest of his life.

This panel painting originally attributed to Carlo Crivelli was later accordingly recognised as by Vittore and part of the altarpiece commissioned in 1481 by the Vinci family in Fermo. The present work is one of the four panels that flank the tabernacle in the upper part of the altarpiece. It shows, set against an elaborate gilded background adorned with an intricate pattern of acanthus leaves, griffins and crowns, the half-length figure of St Jerome traditionally wearing his red cardinal mantle and hat, and holding a model of the Church as he is considered one of the four Fathers of the (western) Church. The open book in his left hand alludes to his activity as a translator of the Bible into Latin.