CUVILLIÉS, François de, the Elder
(b. 1695, Soignies, Hainaut, d. 1768, München)

Interior view

1734-39
Photo
Schloss Nymphenburg, Munich

The Amalienburg is an elaborate hunting lodge in the grounds of Nymphenburg Palace, Munich. It was constructed in 1734–1739 by François de Cuvilliés, in Rococo style, for the later Holy Roman Emperor Charles VII and his wife, Maria Amalia of Austria.

Most of the ground floor is given over to the round Hall of Mirrors in the centre of the building. It was designed by Johann Baptist Zimmermann and Joachim Dietrich (1690–1753). It creates an ethereal atmosphere in the Bavarian national colours of silver and blue.

The picture shows Hall of Mirrors.