(b. 1460, Augsburg, d. 1523, Augsburg)
Altarpiece of the Fugger Chapel1518
Marble and limestone reliefs, height 148 cm
Church of St Anne, Augsburg
Augsburg's connections to Venice and to Italian art more generally surfaced in local sculptural programs. When the wealthy Fugger family commissioned an elaborate sepulchral chapel in Italian Renaissance architectural style, they opted not for the leading local wood-carvers, the Erharts, but rather for a new generation of stone sculptors. The set of standing Corpus Christi figures is the work of Adolf (or his son, Hans) Daucher. The group shows an upright Christ flanked by Mary and John the Evangelist, as well as a third mourner who supports the body.