(b. ca. 1386, Firenze, d. 1466, Firenze)
St Markc. 1411
Marble, height 236 cm
The statue was commissioned by the Arte dei Linaioli (Guild of Linen Merchants) for the Church of Orsanmichele. It was placed in a tabernacle in the outer wall of the church. Recently it was removed from its original place for restoration and placed in a museum.
The solidity of the statue reflects classical rules. The weight of the figure rests on the right leg, and the left knee is slightly bent to maintain balance. Where it is not caught by the arm, the mantle falls to the ground in heavy folds, but it is in the imposing head, with its contracted brow and brooding eyes, that the character of the saint is expressed.