The name of the altarpiece derives from the Rucellai Chapel of Santa Maria Novella where it remained, after being moved to several different places inside the church, from 1591 to 1937, the year of the Giotto exhibition. It was then transferred to the Uffizi. The panel was commissioned in 1285.
The painting has been the subject of much controversy among critics. In the fifteenth century it was thought to be the work of Cimabue, and this attribution, supported by Vasari, was accepted until the beginning of the twentieth century.
![]() |
Summary of paintings by DUCCIO di Buoninsegna |
The Maestŕ (1308-11) |
Ruccelai Madonna (1285) |
Various paintings |