DUCCIO di Buoninsegna
(b. ca. 1255, Siena, d. 1319, Siena)

Polyptych No. 47

after 1310
Tempera on wood, 184 x 257 cm
Pinacoteca Nazionale, Siena

The Polyptych no. 47 was originally in the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala and now it is in the Pinacoteca of Siena. Only the central part of the work is of indisputable Duccio authorship; the remaining panels are ascribed to an able, but as yet unknown, assistant.

The lower section of this altarpiece depicting several figures shows Mary and the saints (St John the Evangelist and St Agnes on the left as well as St John the Baptist and Mary Magdalene on the right). The upper section shows Christ and the angels. Between them, the artist has painted a middle level which depicts half-length figures of kings and prophets from the Old Testament. Like the saints, they are named by inscription. Above the Madonna, for example, Moses and King avid appear.