GOES, Hugo van der
(b. ca. 1440, Ghent, d. 1482, Bruxelles)
Portinari Triptych (open)1476-79
Oil on wood, 274 x 652 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence
The triptych consists of The Adoration of the Shepherds (central panel, 253 x 304 cm); Saints Margaret and Mary Magdalen with Maria Portinari (right wing, 253 x 141 cm); Saints Anthony and Thomas with Tommaso Portinari (left wing, 253 x 141 cm).
Painted at Bruges on the commission of Tommaso Portinari, who was Medicean agent in that city. It was subsequently sent to Florence and placed upon the high altar of Sant'Egidio.
The picture shows the triptych as exhibited in the Uffizi.