(b. ca. 1478, Maubeuge, d. 1532, Middelburg)
Oil on canvas transferred from wood, 141 x 107 cm
The Hermitage, St. Petersburg
This painting was formerly attributed to Bernaert van Orley, Pieter Coecke van Aelst, and Lucas van Leyden. It was also assumed for a time that it was the central panel of a triptych, called Salamanca Triptych with the wings now in the Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio. This assumption is not accepted by recent research.
The picture shows an early example of the works of Romanist painters (Northern artists influenced by Italian Renaissance painting).