(b. 1541, Candia, d. 1614, Toledo)
Oil on panel, 63 x 76 cm
This panel was executed by El Greco during his last years in Venice or at the beginning of his stay in Rome. The composition is based on a painting by Titian, now lost, intended for the high altar of the convent church of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Murano. Although his stay in Venice was relatively brief, Venetian art had a profound effect on El Greco's style, an influence we see increasing throughout the 1570s.