(b. 1802, Paris, d. 1866, Neuilly)
Plaster, height 56 cm
Musée d'Orsay, Paris
This work was designed for the façade of the Palais de Justice in Paris.
The façade of the Palais de Justice in Place Dauphin, Paris, was remodeled between 1859 and 1868. It was decorated with six allegorical figures (Wisdom and Truth, Equity and Strength, and Punishment and Protection) by Augustine Dumont, Jean-Louis-Nicolas Jaley, and François Jouffroy, respectively. It was the norm to practice maximum division of labour, but because the individual artist's personality tended to take second place to the overall style, the result was not heterogeneous.