(b. ca. 1425, ?, d. 1495, München)
Oil on panel, 77 x 32 cm
Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid
This panel forms part of a group of eight which once belonged to an altarpiece in the monastery at Tegernsee. All eight are now in the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection and depict the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Each is depicted on two panels, one, as here, showing the Evangelist in his study, and the other depicting a notable episode from his life: in the case of St Luke, the artist has represented him painting the Virgin. Here St Luke is writing at his desk with his symbol, the bull, at his side, depicted in a realistic way as if it were a domestic pet.