MAZZA, Tommaso del
(active 1375-1391 in Florence)
Virgin and Child with Eight Angelsc. 1385
Poplar panel, gold ground, 85 x 61 cm
Musée du Petit Palais, Avignon
This painting is the central panel of a triptych. The wings represents Sts John the Baptist and Anthony of Padua with the donor Bonifazio Lupi (left), and Sts John the Evangelist and Louis of Toulouse with Catarina dei Francesi, the donor's wife.
While continuing to refer to Giotto, Florentine painters began to introduce a refined linear Gothic style. An example is the triptych by Tommaso del Mazza, commisssioned for the main altar of the hospital founded in Florence by Bonifazio Lupi in 1386, and dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.