(b. 1475, Caprese, d. 1564, Roma)
Marble, height 205 cm
Santa Maria sopra Minerva, Rome
Commissioned in 1514, Michelangelo was working on a first version of this statue around 1515, abandoned due to a fault in the marble (though this may have been a convenient excuse). A new version was hurriedly substituted in 1519-20 to fulfil the terms of the contract. Michelangelo worked on it in Florence and the final touches were entrusted to an apprentice, Pietro Urbano, quickly replaced by Federico Frizzi after a suggestion from Sebastiano del Piombo.