(b. 1475, Caprese, d. 1564, Roma)
View of the Medici Chapel1526-33
Sagrestia Nuova, San Lorenzo, Florence
Medici Chapel (Cappella Medicea) is the chapel housing monuments to members of the Medici family, in the New Sacristy of the Church of San Lorenzo in Florence. The funereal monuments were commissioned in 1520 by Pope Clement VII (formerly Cardinal Giulio de' Medici), executed largely by Michelangelo from 1520 to 1534, and completed by Michelangelo's pupils after his departure.
The picture shows the tomb of Lorenzo de' Medici (at left) and the altar of the chapel (at right).