(b. ca. 1400, Reichenhofen/Allgau, d. 1467, Ulm)
St George and St John the Evangelistc. 1450
The two staues are on the West Porch of the Cathedral.
The dominant style in South Germany at the beginning of the 15th century carried on the grace and prettiness of the 14th century, slighly humanized, but nevertheless of the greatest lyrical charm. By the middle decades of the 15th century, the trend towards representational naturalism was everywhere apparent. It is well illustrated by these statues of Multscher, where the whole rendering reaches a stage of unaffected simplicity at times almost photographic.