(b. ca. 1308, Firenze, d. ca. 1368, Firenze)

Interior view

Cenacolo di Santo Spirito, Florence

The refectory (Cenacolo) of Santo Spirito is the only surviving Gothic style wing of the ancient Augustine convent built around the 1350s. The monastic complex was entirely transformed during the Renaissance, when Filippo Brunelleschi started the reconstruction of the Church of Santo Spirito in 1444.

Only the Cenacolo preserves its original architecture featuring trusses and two-lighted windows. Florentine patrons, the Cambi's, covered the expenses for the decoration of the eastern wall depicting a monumental Crucifixion and Last Supper. The commission was assigned between 1360 and 1365 to one of the greatest late Gothic masters: Andrea Orcagna, who was helped by his brother Nardo di Cione.

The large wall features the Crucifixion with a multitude of angels surrounding the cross, portrayed on a dark background. The lower register, showing the Last Supper, is almost completely destroyed, only two of the Apostles and an Augustinian friar on the right side are partially conserved.

Today the Cenacolo is a museum housing a precious collection of Gothic sculptures, paintings, decorative artworks and antique pieces of furniture.