(b. 1508, Padova, d. 1580, Maser)
The Palazzo Chiericati is probably the most original of Palladio's private residences. The loggie look out on a large open piazza. The ground story is a Bramantesque loggia, but the paired columns and jutting entablature in the centre divide this into three units. The second story is a loftier Ionic loggia, the central area is filled in by a wall so that a solid block of masonry appears suspended among columns. On the top of the building, the lower divisions are emphasized by the alternation of clustered statues with large, fantastic urns.
The construction of the building began in 1551, it was completed in the seventeenth century after Palladio's design.