PARIGI, Alfonso the Younger
(b. 1606, Firenze, d. 1656, Firenze)

Lion Fountain

c. 1650
Marble
Palazzo Pitti, Florence

Around 1650, Fernando II de' Medici commissioned Alfonso Parigi to build the two long, low wings of Palazzo Pitti, bringing the palace to its present size. The garden was adorned with statues, which were placed singly or in group.

The picture shows the Lion Fountain, placed underneath a first floor façade window of the palazzo.