PISANO, Andrea
(active c. 1290-1349 in Pisa)

Drunkenness of Noah

Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Florence

Andrea Pisano's second commission in Florence (after the south doors of the Baptistry) was the sculpture of the Campanile, begun by Giotto in 1334, diagonally opposite the south portal of the Baptistry. It is believed that the Genesis scenes were installed by Giotto's death in 1337, when Andrea became Capomaestro. He subsequently completed the first zone of hexagonal reliefs, working on the large freestanding figures for the upper parts until his departure for Pisa around 1343.

The programme of the decoration of the Campanile is a visual scholastic summary of encyclopaedic content. It places an unusual emphasis on the concept of work, one of the primary ways medieval and Renaissance people defined their existence, but in a marked departure from the usual medieval context of Labours of the Months. Andrea's scheme appears to reflect a belief in the value of work, which eventually lead to the strong Florentine profit motive and increasing economic prosperity.